The next big IT security threat is on its way, so it seems. TorrentLocker is its name. You do need to be aware of these threats, but they don’t change the basic rules of security:
- Keep your brain engaged. If it looks like spam, it is spam. Delete it.
- NEVER open attachments that you aren’t expecting.
- Don’t go to non-work web sites, or click on links in emails from people you don’t know. It won’t do your reputation any good when your computer stops.
- Every time you want to access your bank, do it from your Favourites in your browser. Never click on links that someone has sent you.
- Keep all your computers up to date with security patches and don’t run obsolete versions of the operating system (eg Windows XP).
- And, of course, keep your anti-virus software up to date.
If you would like more advice about IT security or you would like a copy of the latest Riverbank IT security white paper, please contact us.